Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The kindness of strangers

Beautiful cold day in Bingoland! Snow on the ground. Roosters crowing. Babies crying. Doesn't get any better than this!

Has anyone noticed how cooperative and polite telemarketers have become??? Mind you I'm not getting collection calls (anymore...). Somehow I got on a list. Most likely from the internet. My bad. But (!) each time I've gotten a call, the person on the other end has been friendly, curteous and quite easily gotten rid of with a one time declaration of "no, I'm not interested in taking classes right now" or "no, I'm not interested in a home based business opportunity with Visa/MC."

Maybe it's because I don't yell at them, or otherwise be rude, and actually give them a minute to talk, but I've had some downright pleasant calls lately. Lots of "thank you for your time", "have a nice day/evening", etc., pleasant voices that you can hear the smile in, and (bonus) most of them have been native English speakers. The one exception was equally as pleasant (from India perhaps?). Is the world becoming a nicer place? Probably not. Did they give "nice" classes at the call centers? Most likely no. I think it's just the power of treating someone else the way you'd like to be treated. Imagine having their job. 9 out of 10 people hanging up on you, telling you off, whatever. I'm amazed they have the energy to be polite to anyone let alone actually sound pleasant. So maybe, by my being polite and nice first, it comes boomeranging back. At least I'd like to think so.

So the next time you get a telemarketing call, say "hi", be polite, say "no, thank you and Merry Christmas" with a smile in your voice and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised. And maybe make someone else's day not so unpleasant. "Do unto others as you would have done to you." Good precept to live by. Jesus wasn't just talking to hear himself speak, you know!

Have a nice day! Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment