Saturday, August 21, 2010

Delaware County Fair

Today we ventured to Walton, NY for the Delaware County Fair. Having been to the Harford Fair earlier this week in Harford, PA, I figured it would just be another version of that. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised!
If you have never been to the Delaware County Fair and you live in or near the Catskill region of Upstate NY, you are missing out. For a county fair, this was not only a big fair, but well organized, very clean, super friendly, and there was a lot to see and do besides the midway. The areas which house the animals being shown are extremely clean, similar to my experience at the NYS Fair in Syracuse. We visited the petting area where there were the usual goats and sheep but also some very tame mama pigs with their piglets, a couple of Clydesdales that were just the biggest, sweetest lovers, a mama donkey and her foal, chicks, ducklings, bunnies and more. I had more fun in the petting zoo than the babies did!
In the dairy barn we met Sunshine, a big beautiful black and white dairy cow (a Holstein?- I didn't ask). She is due in about 10 days but she was sweet enough to allow the babies to sit in the hay next to her ENORMOUS pregnant belly and have her picture taken with the babies. She was beautiful. That's really a big compliment from me as I am not a dairy cow fan, having lived down the road from them for a bit in Greene, NY. My husband actually turned to me and said, "We have to get a cow!" Well, as long as we also get a goat because I actually prefer fresh goat's milk!
At the "Wandering Cowboy" I finally got my cowgirl hat. The proprietor of the business helped me pick out a hat and a hat band. We commiserated over not being able to see Lady Antebellum tonight. Me, because I didn't get tickets in time and my husband's band is playing tonight, and he, because he is working at the booth. I did clue him in to the fact that they will be at Chevy Court at the State Fair on September1st. If you haven't been to the State Fair I will clue You in too-no tickets are needed for Chevy Court! It's free seating. You just have to get there early to get a seat. So if you see me there-say hi! And jsut to make my day, the "Wandering Cowboy" threw in my hat band for free as long as I promised to wear my hat onstage when I am out singing. So if you see me with my hat next time James and I play, now you'll know why! I feel more like a cowgirl everyday. Now if I could only find my horse....
Lunch was at the New Hope Church pancake tent! At 3pm we were eating biscuits and gravy with homefries (hashbrowns really) with coffee. Yum! I gotta learn to make homemade buiscuits and gravy. Maybe in my free time.
And the icing on the cake was finding a handmade quilt for our new log bed that we bought in Lake George on vacation this year. It's a beautiful king size "Yo-Yo" quilt with a blue plaid background and yo-yo's in every color imaginable so it will really go with anything and everything that I might like to put on the bed with it. If you are not a quilter (neither am I) and you don't know what yo-yo's are, they kind of look like a gathered button made of fabric that is then tacked onto the quilt. On my quilt they are about 2-3 inches in diameter and spaced about 2 inches apart. On a king size quilt there are A LOT of yo-yo's! I can't imagine how long it took to make and she did it by hand! We will have this quilt forever. My children will have to fight over it when I die. Perhaps I will give it to the child who treats me the best in my fragile old age... It's already on my bed completing my log cabin look! I love it! (Oh yeah, we actually DO live in a log cabin, duh...)
The day was rounded out by a pretzel dog on a stick, a gigunda fruit smoothie and, of course, deep fried Oreo's! I intended on getting my fried Oreo fix at the Harford Fair but none of us spotted them until we were walking out. The stand I bought my Oreo's at also had deep fried Snickers, Pop Tart's and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! I would have given in to my deep fried obsession if I hadn't been reading "The Maker's Diet" on the way to the fair! So I settled for the Oreo's since that's what's been on my mind all week. And now I am good until next year. Or at least until the NYS Fair at the end of the month! Then it'll be fried scallops and oysters (which aren't on the "Maker's Diet" either, but hey, a girl's gotta live!)...
So the Delaware County Fair is a keeper in my book. We will certainly be back next year. And then I will once again have to choose between the Snickers, the PB&J, the Pop Tarts, and the Oreo's. Decisions, decisions...
Maybe we'll be showing our new cow...
P.S. check back again in a day or so as I may have figured out how to upload my photos by then. I am about ready to throw the computer out the window right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment